A new church bell for St Woolos
A new bell has been added to the bells of St Woolos, the Diocesan Cathedral.
The last time St Woolos were augmented was 34 years ago in 1989 when a flat 6th was added to give a light ring of 8 bells at the front.
Now thanks to a private donor they have a new treble on the way, which will extend this ring to give a light 10, as well as a true ring of 13. This will put St Woolos in an exclusive club of only 23 towers out of 6000 worldwide that can offer such a choice of bells for full circle change ringing! The new treble was cast six weeks ago at the Royal Eijsbouts bell foundry in Holland, and has now been tuned at Nicholson Bell Hangers in Bridport Devon, ready for delivery to St Woolos next week.
This very special bell has been privately gifted in memory of Paul Williams, who was a member of the St Woolos band for many years, and a nationally recognised ringer, once elected as master of the Ancient Society of College Youths. This honorary society was founded in 1637, and provides ringers for prestigious national occasions including at St Paul’s Cathedral and Westminster Abby .
The new bell, now bearing Paul's name, will be dedicated in a Cathedral service on Sunday 22nd October, before being hoisted up the outside of the tower for installation above the existing bells. Volunteers from the band are already hard at work preparing the tower and will assist with the installation work, which should be completed by the end of October.
The special combination of bells and ringers that St Woolos enjoys, already make it the foremost tower for ringing in Wales.
13 Oct 2023