Our church buildings
Llanover NP7 8BU
The Church of St Bartholomew, Llanover, Monmouthshire has its origins in the period following the Norman Conquest. The nave appears the earliest part of the present building, with the chancel dating from the 14th century, the tower from the 16th century and the porch from the 18th century.
Coed-y-Paen NP4 0SY
The church was built as a Chapel of Ease to the parish church of Llangybi, and conveyed to the Church in Wales in 1861. It is a fine Victorian church of the Early English style.
Designed by architect Sir Matthew Digby-Wyatt in 1848, it comprises a nave and chancel and a western tower of three floors with a single bell. The church is constructed from local sandstone with a pitched natural slate roof and a tower with a crenelated parapet. The interior was refurbished in 2005 including repairs to the plaster of the main body. It was redecorated using breathable lime paint and completely re-wired. A new overhead electric heating system was installed. Much of the work was done by parishioners. Both the church and the churchyard are well cared for on a regular basis.
Goetre NP15 1JX
The first written record of a church at Goetre comes from 1348, though very little of this medieval building remains. Only in the south porch can you see any medieval stonework, though even this seems to have been moved here from another location. The entrance arch to the porch appears to be medieval, and there may be more old stonework in the chancel. The chancel roof may be medieval, replaced on top of rebuilt walls.
Llanbadoc NP15 1PS
The church is thought to have belonged to Usk Priory in the 12th century, but no part of the church can be dated to before 1300. The earliest datable element is the reredos, although the nave and chancel may be contemporary with it. The roof of the nave appears to have been rebuilt in the early 18th century, probably as a result of damage suffered in the Great Storm of 1703. In the 19th century, the church was extensively restored by John Prichard who was responsible for the almost complete rebuilding of the interior.
The Monmouthshire author and artist Fred Hando recorded that the two bells in the tower dated from 1635 and 1677.
Mamhilad NP4 8RH
The Church of St Illtyd, Mamhilad, Monmouthshire, Wales, is a church with its origins in the 11th century. Renovations took place in the 19th century and again in 1999–2000. It is a Grade II* listed building and the churchyard has one of the oldest recorded Yew Trees in the UK.
Llangybi NP15 1NP
The church is dedicated to St Cybi, a 6th-century Cornish saint who is reputed to have founded the church. The present church dates from either the 13th or the 14th century. The church was refurbished in the early 18th century and then restored in the early 20th century by W H Dashwood Caple. The wall paintings are medieval and include The Creed and a depiction of Christ of the Trades.
Just outside the churchyard, are the remains of a Holy well, also dedicated to St Cybi.
Monkswood NP15 1QH
19th Century Church set in a lovely churchyard. Situated approximately midway between Pontypool and Usk. The name Monkswood (Coed-y-Mynach) is said to be derived from the Cistercians of Tintern monastic grange, the remains of which can still be found at Great Estavarny Farm.
After the battle of Pwll Melyn (near Usk) many of the Welsh forces were slaughtered here during the Owain Glyndwr rebellion in the early 1440s.
Rumble Street (the western boundary of the ward) is thought to have been part of an old Roman Road system and signs of the old cobbles still exist.
Tredunnoc NP15 1LZ
The church is constructed of Old Red Sandstone and the style is Perpendicular. The interior contains a Roman grave-slab, described by the architectural historian John Newman as, "splendidly lettered and well-preserved". It commemorates Julius Julianus, a soldier with the Second Augustan Legion based at Isca Augusta, now Caerleon.
Hando recalled that, "For half a millennium the country-folk of Tredunnock have worshipped in their lovely brown church". St Andrew's is a Grade II* listed building, its listing recording it as "a very attractive and well preserved medieval church".
Glascoed NP4 0UA
A 19th century church set in a peaceful part of rural Monmouthshire. Proud of our churchyard, especially the orchids and is home to several protected species.
"The Chapel of Ease, Glascoed, dedicated to St Michael, was built about 1861 with limestone from a local quarry. During the curacy of Warren Richards, a bell thought to have come from Italy, was found in a scrap-yard at Panteg and installed in the church. Glascoed formed part of the ancient parish of Usk and the Glascoed commons were part of the "waste" of the Lordship of Usk. They are now in the ownership of the Llanbadoc Community Council."